N. Thornton

Default Recipe: Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia)

(Maiden) wrote in message . com>...

> Recipe:
> "Not-too-sweet" Banana Cake/Bars (with barley malt & stevia):
>
> 1/3 c. oil (a bit more)
> 1/3 c. barley malt syrup (a bit more)
> 4 [one-gram] packets stevia
> 4 small ripe bananas mashed (hey, would this work w/applesauce too??
> 2 large eggs
> 3 c. flour (of which approx. 1/4 c. is whole wheat flour)
> 2 tsp. baking soda
> 1 tsp. salt (can be less to suit you)
>
> Mix.
> Spread batter in 9 x 13 pan.
> Stick 42 chocolate bits inside.
> Place the choco bits evenly in array of:
> 6 choco-bits width / 7 choco-bits length
>
> This small amount of choco-bits seems to work the trick to add the
> "missing" flavoring, while keeping it pretty healthy & not too
> irritating.
>
> Bake in 375 degree oven - 20 min.

An unusual recipe there. I'd definitely try it if it wasnt for the
malt.

If the applesauce is just cooked apple then yes it works from a
structure POV. I have used apples in place of bananas, and the cakes
tend to be denser and the flavour not as good, but it works. For best
flavour though I find banana cake recipes too heavily flavoured for
apple, better I think to use a very light flavoured cake, with apple
as almost the only flavour.

One can also use fruit in cake rather than sugar or concentrated
sweeteners - currants work fairly well with banana cake, they make it
darker and heavier in taste. Mixed fruit works too. I've never
understood why people pour such huge amounts of sugar into cakes.

Regards, NT