LeRoy

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
>> Syke > wrote:
>>
>>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
>>> gas,
>>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
>>> bottled.
>>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
>>> the
>>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

>> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
>> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
>> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
>> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
>> opportunity arrived.
>> I don't regret it at all.
>>

> When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
> fine and I never had any problems with them

We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
IMHO.

We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
turn it off when we come back to the UK.

Pat