Derek

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:46:40 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

>>> Kinko, for instance still requires written permission only if there is an
>>> explicit copyright notice. Are Kinko lawyers good enough for you? You
>>> decide.

>> Did the lawyers decide that or was it management? How well informed
>> were they?

> You have got to be kidding , my friend. If you think that Kinko's management
> is so brave and bold as to take the responsibility for such a decision
> without corporate lawyers beating this issue to death you live on a
> different planet. A corporate VP who did that would have been put in an
> asylum as soon as the ink of his signature dries.

Considering some of the boneheaded and actually illegal polices that
managements I have dealt with have implemented, you have a much higher
opinion of management than I.

>>Are you aware that you can walk into Kinkos with
>> copyrighted work and make your own photocopy and they won't have a
>> clue or even try to stop you?

> Absolutely, but then, they are not responsible - it is you who broke the
> law. They have no more responsibility in this case as rental car agency if
> you hit and kill someone driving the car you rented from them. But if you
> want THEM to make the copies, its a different story.

Yes, because Kinkos has been sued by publishers for making copies. How
long until a publisher sues because they let people make copies?

After all, they've also sued VCR manufactures, CD-burner manufactures,
digital duplication software manufacturers,...

>>> I am not interested in this issue and won't comment on it again.

>> Oh, sure. NOW you're not interested...

> Yes, NOW, after I got a legal opinion that there is a huge difference in
> interpretation of copyright laws, I am not interested.
>
> Sasha.

Dude, I could have told you that days ago and saved you the trouble.

--
Derek

SAM: Teal'c, how do Jaffa couples handle their problems?
TEAL'C: On Chulak, a dispute between a man and a woman that cannot
be resolved necessitates a pledge break. It must be requested
by one and granted by the other.
DANIEL: And if that doesn't work?
TEAL'C: A weapon is required.

(Stargate-SG1, "Affinity")