Chuck

<confused> wrote in message
> A few times recently I've ordered carryout for lunch from a restaurant

near my
> office. I've had to go over to the bar and ask the bartender for my food,

and
> those few times I never left a tip. I never thought of doing it because

I've
> never tipped for carryout. But I wonder if I should be tipping for this,
> because I know that bartenders expect tips. I would certainly tip a

bartender
> if I were to order a drink and sit down at the bar. But should I tip for
> carryout? And if so, would it be the standard 20%?
>
> And a question on tipping in general: do you take 20% of the pre-tax

amount,
> or the post-tax amount?

I never tip if they just hand me a bag of food. (never tip at Sonic drive in
either) So what if a bartender "expects" a tip. Did he fix me a drink? No.

As far as tipping in general, I normally double the tax amount, then round
up to the nearest whole dollar amount. If service was real good, I will add
a couple of bucks to that, bad service, deduct some money from that amount.

---