Kate Connally

Nancy Dooley wrote:

> zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> > Carla HaIrCuTTeR wrote:
> >
> > > I need a good sugar fudge that is alittle grainey. I dont want to use
> > > marshmallows or chocolate chips.
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > It's only grainy if you screw it up. Like the time I tried to make it
> > with cocoa and a little extra butter instead of using chocolate. =(8-O
> > I used to make this every year to give my Grandma for Christmas:
> >
> > Old Fashioned Fudge
> > (Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
> >
> > 2 cups sugar
> > 3/4 cup milk
> > 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, cut up
> > 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
> > 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
> > 1 teaspoon vanilla
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
> >
> > Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In it, combine suggar, milk,
> > chocolate, corn syrup, and dash salt. Cook and stir over medium heat
> > until sugar disolves and mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking to
> > 234ºF (soft-ball stage), stirring only as needed to prevent sticking
> > (mixture should boil gently over entire surface) Immediately remove from
> > heat; add butter but do not stir. Cool, without stirring to lukewarm
> > (110ºF), for 30 to 40 minutes. Add vanilla and nuts. Beat vigorously
> > for 7 to 10 minutes or until fudge becomes very thick and loses its gloss.
> >
> > Immediately spread into a buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Score into
> > squares while warm; cut when firm. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> This is my favorite recipe, too - absolutely the best old-fashioned fudge.
>
> N.

Proper fudge should not have any corn syrup in
it. Fudge is a subset of fondant. It should not
be chewy, which is what you get when you add corn
syrup. Alas almost all commercially made fudge these
days is made with corn syrup. Anytime I see fudge and
am tempted to buy it I have to ask if there's corn
syrup in it. If so I won't buy it. Probably just
as we since I certainly don't need to eat any fudge.
So, why don't I make it myself? Well, the good,
old-fashioned stuff is tricky to make and also a lot
of work, what with all the beating it requires to
make it come out right. Oh, well, some day I'll find
a good source of maple fudge with only maple syrup,
butter, and cream. It's like my "holy grail" of
fudge.
Kate
--
Kate Connally