Scott

In article >,
(Frances) wrote:

> The receipt uses 12oz of sugar for every pint of liquid obtained after
> boiling the grapes, plus the juice of 2 lemons and 1/4 pint of port
> wine.

Grapes are acidic enough that 2 lemons should be fine. If the fruit was
overripe, however, it might not have had enough pectin to jell. I've
heard one source recommend using 1 part underripe fruit to 3 parts ripe.

As far as sugar:fruit ratio, that's trickier, since we don't know the
grape's pectin content. According to the Farm Journal's Freezing and
Canning Cookbook:
"If the pectin test gives you a jellied mass you can pick up with a
fork, measure 1 c. sugar for each cup juice. If the test is moderately
strong (large jelly flakes), use 3/4 c. sugar for each cup juice. When
juice contains only a moderate amount of pectin, use 2/3 to 3/4 c. sugar
to 1 c. juice. (Too much sugar results in syrup, not jelly.)"

I think that parenthetical at the end might be telling. My understanding
is that grapes are among the more forgiving of fruit when it comes to
not doing a pectin test, but the ratio might still be off--but whether
it's too high or too low, I'm not sure.

To test for pectin, measure 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol into a cup and
stir in 1 tsp. cooked, cooled juice, then use the evaluation above.

> Seriously I cooked it to 110 centigrade as marked on the thermometer.
> The reciept didn't say how long one should boil it for Would that make
> a difference?

Jell point at sea level would be 104-105 degrees C (220 F), with the
jelly taken off the heat when it get to that temperature. It should be
brought to jelling temperature then removed immediately.

Sounds like you might have overcooked it; this may be more the issue
than the sugar content.

How big a batch did you make? If you try to make too much at once, that
can result in it not setting (it cooks too slowly).

How long has it been since you made this? It's not a failed batch until
you wait at least 2 weeks.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>