Julia Altshuler

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

Bob, there aren't many on this group I'd get up and walk into the
kitchen for, but you're one of them. Just for you, the brand is
Borden's Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. The side of the can says
(in smaller letters than I'd remembered but still in all caps) "CAUTION:
NEVER HEAT UNOPENED CAN."

I can see that the business about making caramel in the can is
controversial. I've read the whole thread and concede that something
bad won't necessarily happen every time an unopened can is heated. But
wouldn't common sense lead one to believe that doing so is a bad idea
because the expanding liquids inside would have nowhere to expand?

I can further see that this discussion can turn into the endless other
food safety discussions. One person posts a warning that leaving
something out of the refrigerator is unsafe, and others post about the
countless times they've done it with no ill effect. The bottom line is
that we all decide what chances we're willing to take. For me, it is
easy enough to empty the contents of a can into another container before
heating.

--Lia