Barbtail

Marge writes:

>I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
>baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
>bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
>whole and fresh?

Breads travel well. Bar cookies travel well. If the cookies are sturdy, those
new fancy ziplock bags and plastic containers are good for packing and
sending goodies. I also save the styrofoam peanuts from various mail order
purchases I make during the year to protect my goodies. If you have an air
popper, you could use stale plain popcorn to pack with.

Sometimes I use cupcake papers and candy cups to cradle cookies and provide
some cushion between stacks and layers. Basically, though, it's all about
what you decide to bake and send- avoid obviously delicate cookies and stick
with breads, hearty cookies, bar cookies, etc. If he has a favorite cookie
you just gotta send, use the cupcake wrappers. The mail order people
*Currents* have some cute goodie wrapping stuff (they don't seem to have a
website). Most kitchen supply stores sell specialty candy and cupcake wrappers
as well.

Have fun!

Barb