William R. Watt

Scott ) writes:

>...According to the Farm Journal's Freezing and
> Canning Cookbook:
> "If the pectin test gives you a jellied mass you can pick up with a
> fork, measure 1 c. sugar for each cup juice. If the test is moderately
> strong (large jelly flakes), use 3/4 c. sugar for each cup juice. When
> juice contains only a moderate amount of pectin, use 2/3 to 3/4 c. sugar
> to 1 c. juice. (Too much sugar results in syrup, not jelly.)"

What is written above is true but I'd recommend bringing the pectin
content up to the "mass" level and then add 3/4 cup sugar for each cup
juice. If the juice is stuck at the boiling point of water then add the
extra 1/4 cup sugar or however much is needed to get the temperature up to
220 deg F or whatever test for set you are using. There are three reasons
I'd recommend doing it that way.

1. I've found when the pectin level is high the voume expands when sugar
is added and you get more jelly than there was juice.

They don't say above that you have to boil down the juice and sugar
mixture until there is sufficient concentration of pectin for it to jell,
so...

2. You have to stand there and stir longer and pay a bit more for the extra
elecricity or whatever fuels your stove.

3. The longer boiling time is supposed to lower the quality of the jelly.
I'm not expert enough to confirm this from experience, but I've read that
it's so.

Either commercial pectin or pectin rich juice (eg apple) can be added to
raise the pectin level. I re-test after adding to confirm its at the
"jellied mass" level before starting to add sugar.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm