William R. Watt

Brian Mailman ) writes:
> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Hi, William, just a recommendation: put URLs inside "< >". E.g.,
>>> <www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm>
>>>
>>> Newsreaders and browsers play better with URLs that way.
>>>

>> Depends on your newsreader Scott. I use Netscape 7.xx and the url's turn
>> up in blue type and you just click them. The brackets aren't really needed.

> Same with Mozilla 1.7.3 aka Seamonkey.

sorry, I don't have an apprecitation for hypertext browsers and news or
mail programs as I use the UNIX mail program on a dialup connection with
VT100 terminal emulation, ie. text only. I do get MIME and HTML encoded
mail from time to time which is almost impossible to read with all the
embedded tags being displayed on my text terminal.

I like the text connection for mail and newsgroups because it's fast and
simple and I can use my MS-DOS computer, 1990 vintage. The DOS computer is
actually a lot faster to get up and running and connect to the FreeNet
than my Windows computer which takes eons to load all the drivers. I only
use it when I want colour graphics. The DOS computer with text
communication is also free of all the viruses and computer invasions the
colour graphics computer with PPP communication is subject to. With a text
connection I don't have to try to stay one step ahead of the hackers. I
never have to update any of software on the DOS computer. I use the DOS
computer for 90% of my computing (word processing, number crunching,
communication, etc.).

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm