Frances

Scott > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Frances) wrote:
>
> > I have just made my first ever batch of grape jelly from the fruit
> > growing on the vine in my garden. I followed the instructions that I
> > have been given and used a sugar thermometer to guage the setting
> > point but I am left with jars of syrupy liquid. What has gone wrong?
> > Is there anything I can do to make them set? I have loads more grapes
> > to use up so I want to get it right.

> Since you didn't post the recipe you used, there's no easy way to tell.
> Jams and jellies are very sensitive to ingredient proportions. Too much
> or too little sugar, and it might not set.

The receipt uses 12oz of sugar for every pint of liquid obtained after
boiling the grapes, plus the juice of 2 lemons and 1/4 pint of port
wine.

> "Sugar thermometer"? You mean a jelly/candy thermometer?

Sorry I'm English this is the term we use here.
What did you
> cook it to? It should be 8 degrees F over the boiling point, 220 F at
> 1000 feet or lower altitudes.

Altitude is not an issue here in cooking however if it's sensitive to
cold and damp that's another matter <g>
Seriously I cooked it to 110 centigrade as marked on the thermometer.
The reciept didn't say how long one should boil it for Would that make
a difference?

thanks for your help

Frances