Scott

In article >,
(Frances) wrote:

> I have just made my first ever batch of grape jelly from the fruit
> growing on the vine in my garden. I followed the instructions that I
> have been given and used a sugar thermometer to guage the setting
> point but I am left with jars of syrupy liquid. What has gone wrong?
> Is there anything I can do to make them set? I have loads more grapes
> to use up so I want to get it right.

Since you didn't post the recipe you used, there's no easy way to tell.
Jams and jellies are very sensitive to ingredient proportions. Too much
or too little sugar, and it might not set. If the pectin level of the
grapes is too low, it won't set (which is why I always make jam with
added pectin nowadays); if you don't add pectin, make sure you use a
quantity of slightly under-ripe fruit, since it has more pectin. If it
isn't acid enough (acid is required for jelling) it won't set; many
recipes call for added acid in the form of lemon juice. If it's
overcooked, or heated too slowly, it might not set.

"Sugar thermometer"? You mean a jelly/candy thermometer? What did you
cook it to? It should be 8 degrees F over the boiling point, 220 F at
1000 feet or lower altitudes. Did you try the sheet test? The cold
saucer test?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>