Wayne Boatwright

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:thisisbogus-
:

> Secret Family Recipe: Dole bagged cole slaw lightly dressed with
> Jimmy's Cole Slaw Dressing (refrigerated; local brand, I think). I
> added some sliced red onion to the cabbage/carrot blend. Thanks, Wayne.

What I liked was that yours didn't look overdressed. I don't like soupy
coleslaw.

When I use a jarred dressing it's usually Marzetti's, born of the long
defunct Marzetti's Restaurant in Columbus, OH.

More often than not I throw it together as I go along and it's kind of a
strange process. The Dole bagged cole slaw is always reliable for a base.
I toss some in a flat-bottomed bowl and add some chopped green onion. I
have a big salt shaker filled with granulated sugar. I sprinkle sugar and
salt alternately over the slaw, mixing with a fork and tasting for a salt
sweet balance, adjusting if necessary. I let the mixture sit until the
cabbage begins to give us some moisture, stirring periodically. Then
dribble a few drops of canola or light olive oil over the mix, stirring to
mix well, then let it set 5-10 minutes. Last, I whisk together some mayo
and cider vinegar about 2:1. I only use a couple of tablespoons of the
mayo mixture in the slaw, just until well moistened.

I've tried making a dressing by combining all of the above ingredients and
mixing into the cabbage. It never turns out right, so I stay with my
sprinkle and stir method.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.