Ulrike Westphal

"Charles Perry" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Dick Adams wrote:
> >
> > Do you think this bread looks like cornbread?
> >

> Well, maybe not cornbread as in bread made from corn. But, it
> probably looks like korn bread as in bread made with whole or
> almost whole grains.
>
> Those old Germanic bakers were always telling the cookbook
> authors that rrrreal Pumpernickle had korn (whole grain)in it and
> the cookbook authors went along and added corn(maize)meal to the
> recipes that they (cookbook authora)invented. There is no
> putting the genie back in the bottle despite the best efforts of
> the Pumpernickle Police.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
> --
> Charles Perry
> Reply to:
>
> ** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **

I apologize: I should have said "Dreikornbrot", perhaps to translate with
"Three-grain-bread"??

To be correct: The German "Korn" is not grain in PUPO's sense. A
"Five-grain- bread " may contain (Oil)seeds like sunflower, flax or sesame.
A "Fuenfkornbrot" has five types of grain from the following bread- grains
which belongs to the graminaceous: corn (maize, indian corn), rye, wheat,
oat, spelt, rice, barley, millet and buckwheat. So the real German
pumpernickel has only rye, wheat and old bread and seeds from rye and/or
wheat.

So it's all a kind of definition what you'll understand....

Who cares for definitions, if it is the taste that counts???

Ulrike