Allan Adler

Default do it yourself yeast?

About 20 years ago, I started experimenting with making my own yeast
for making bread. The bread never turned out well but I think it did
rise. For example, I took some grape skins and left them in water or
grape juice for a few days, and then used it instead of yeast to make
bread. I also tried it with barley in water, on the theory that hops
are like barely and are fermented to make beer. I don't remember whether
I made bread out of it but I did taste it and wasn't too grossed out.

I'd like to know, since I'm thinking of trying again, whether this
is something people actually do to get leavening for bread and, if
so what are some ways to do it right.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *