Phil

I'm just gonna set this one aside till X-mas 2005. I didn't know what
a malto fermentation was so I googled this group and found out. Seems
it would be a bit too late to order, and inoculate this wine with it
as the og was already too low to have any effect.

As for the grapes being picked too early, they were not. It was
already Oct. 21st and that's pretty late to be picking grapes in
Germany. The vinter harvested the field on Oct. 22nd. The grapes
tasted excellent and ripe at picking.

I wonder what the small wineries in my town do to reduce this acid?
In Germany I don't think they are allowed to add certain chemicals.
Could the yeast type or fermentation temp have anything to do with it?