Richard Periut

Default CHOLESTEROL

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >, "Dimitri"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Katra" > wrote in message

>>>Personally, I'd try diet and EXERCISE (get off your fat ass and go to
>>>the gym) before trying statins!

>>Your choice.

> No. Statins are prescription drugs, and it is the choice of the doctor.
> My HMO is very clear. They ask the patients to try exercise and diet
> first, and then have another test after 3 months. If it still is too
> high, then they will prescribe medication.
>

> Of course, every patient is different, not to mention every doctor.

Very correct Dan.

There is the mediocre, and then there is the well informed physician.
The latter will try radical life style modifications (which exercise is
one of the main ones,) then offer chemotherapy(ies) if the former has
not impacted.

The FDA would not approve drugs, unless there is a positive benefit to
risk ratio. Statins can produce serious liver damage, especially in the
elder, those who abuse alcohol, and those that are other hepatotoxic
medications (who have slipped through the cracks of a careless
physician.) But then again, for those at high risk, a 3 mm clot in your
left main coronary, can render your heart a useless bag of fibrillating
muscle, with Mr. Death greeting you at the door : )

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991