Bob (this one)

Shawn Hearn wrote:

> In article >,
> me > wrote:
>
>>Hi there - can anyone tell me, why does my cheese sauce always clump?
>>I melt butter, add flower, add the water obtained from boiling
>>macaroni (or similar), stir stir stir, add cheese. I always get those
>>disgusting lumps of cheese in the sauce. What am I doing wrong? Thank
>>you.

> You're doing it wrong. You need to make the cheese sauce first by slowly
> adding the cheese to the roux so it melts, then slowly pour in some milk
> (no water) until the cheese sauce is nice and thick. When the sauce is
> ready, add it to boiled drained macaroni. You're breaking the sauce.

Sorry. No.

The first thing to do is find a real recipe for the relative amounts
of each ingredient and quit the bullshit guesswork. Cook the
butter-flour combination before adding anything else to it. More
likely, the lumps are clotted bits of flour. Use milk instead of
water. When you have a smooth, thickened basic white sauce, add grated
cheese to melt. Then stir to combine. Then finish the dish.

The very first thing I'd suggest - always - is go read a freakin
recipe. Do a google search. Ask somebody who cooks. Guesswork and
stupid assumptions lead to this sort on idiocy.

NO, I don't have strong feelings about it. Why do you ask?

Pastorio