PENMART01

> Wayne Boatwright wrights:
>
>>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
>> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
>> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
>> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
>> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

>I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
>heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
>was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
>blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
>tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

Actually angel's hair pasta was never intended to be used like spaghetti, which
is why it's not called spaghetti, of which there are various sizes. There are
many pasta shapes not intended for use with sauce. Many are soup pastas, as is
angel's hair pasta. A short time ago some wiseass newbie restaurant owner
figured a good way to serve smaller portions and make them look like more was
to elevate them on some sort of edible platform... what could be more novel and
cheaper than angel's hair pasta... I mean pasta costs less than a blob of
mashed potato. I've been to restaurants where most everything possible was
presented on a wad of angel's hair pasta... but I also noticed that not many
actually ate it.

Angel's hair pasta is good to use in thin soups or broken up and used instead
of vermecelli cooked with rice. Personally I much prefer "fideo" (Mexican
pasta, little nests of angel's hair).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon