Arri London

Default CHOLESTEROL

"" wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:03:54 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >> I've been doing some research, and,
> >> tried reading food labels, but they seem to contradict.
> >>
> >> Do I care about;
> >> Total fat ? Partially saturated ? Unsaturated ?
> >> Is there a web-site that sorts this out ?
> >> Better yet.... which foods/ingredients to avoid.
> >> Is there an easy "hook" that'll help me remember these ?
> >>
> >> <rj>
> >>
> >> <rj>

> >We just went to a dietary seminar at the local heart hospital about
> >this. This information is based on their own patient statistics,
> >regarding blood chemistry and types of heart disease. This is from the
> >notes that I took and the printed info they provided.
> >
> >The general drift was, first, that intake of dietary *cholesterol*
> >doesn't affect blood cholesterol levels for many, but not all people.
> >Then the intake of saturated fats and trans-fats doesn't affect blood
> >cholesterol much for most, but not all people. However, it can
> >contribute to clogging arteries anyway, in a variety of other mechanisms
> >(which they didn't discuss).
> >
> >Total serum cholesterol isn't the whole story, no matter what. There are
> >other factors which contribute to heart disease, such as the balance of
> >cholesterol types and triglycerides, plus the usual suspects of
> >overweight, stress and smoking.
> >
> >There is *no* dietary need for trans-fats, which are mostly synthetic
> >anyway or for saturated fats (those fats which are solid at room temp).
> >
> >Lowering total fat somewhat for many people will lower calories, which
> >isn't a bad thing over all, given that most Americans are overweight.
> >
> >Excessive refined carbohydrates (white flour, white sugar etc) will
> >contribute to the wrong distribution of triglycerides in many, but not
> >all, people. Since there isn't any dietary need for refined carbs, might
> >as well cut down on those too.
> >
> >The summary was: cut down on saturated and trans-fats, which aren't
> >necessary to the diet. Cut down on refined carbohydrates, which also
> >aren't necessary to the diet. Eat lots of greens, whole grains and
> >fruits and vegs. Use natural vegetable oils in place of solid fats
> >(including margarine) in cooking.
> >
> >Get exercise! Many of their patients bring their cholesterol ratios and
> >triglycerides back into line with exercise and minor modifications of
> >diet.
> >
> >That's about it from the heart hospital.

> This looks like an answer that I can use !
>
> Reduce carbs ( a-la Atkins )
> Reduce saturated fats.
> Increase Veggies.
>
> I can do this !!
>
> Thanks
> <rj>

Keep in mind that the Atkins diet is a little extreme regarding carbs;
the hospital dietician didn't recommend it for long-term. Few people
stay on it for all that long and it didn't seem to make any difference
in the long-term rate of heart disease in their patient population. They
weren't all that thrilled with the very low-fat Ornish diet either and
it also didn't make much difference in long-term rate of heart disease
in their patient population.

It's easier to cut down on white sugars, white flour and junk food in
general, rather than trying to get rid of all carbs. Also forgot to
mention that *fibre* is essential in cutting down serum cholesterol and
triglycerides (as well as reducing the risk of colon cancer). A true
Atkins diet is too low in fibre in the long term and requires
supplementation for most people.