pp

(Jack Keller) wrote in message . com>...
> > You mentioned in your note to let the over acid wine age a couple of years.
> > Will this actually reduce the acid?

> Sarge, according to Jackisch, Margalit, Ough, and the other wine
> chemists out there, the acid is not actually *reduced* in quantitative
> terms, but changed chemically and softened. I am not a chemist, but I
> am a believer that time cures many harsh wines. Lum can probably
> explain it. I would have to look it up and then paraphrase the
> answer.
>
> Jack Keller, the Winemaking Home Page

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

That happens in general, so it's not just an issue for harsh wines. In
particular, I had several white (grape) wines that were sweetened to
what I thought was perfect balance at the time. Half a year after, all
of them tasted too sweet because the acid softened up. I haven't got
to try this yet, but next time I'm sweetening, I'll aim to be slightly
off balance on the crisp side.