Dani

Default Cabbage with orange and apples

I got this recipe from:
http://www.somosprimos.com/sp2004/sp....htm#SEPHARDIC

Dani

Classic Jewish Food Recipes
http://www.jewish-food.org/
Sent by Johanna De Soto

Welcome to the Classic Jewish-Food Recipe archives. Here you will find
creations from - literally - all over the world since February, 1996. Our
mission is to become the premier resource for recipes handed down from
generations - many brought over from the "old country," many of which
highlight a wide diversity of local cuisine.

[[ Click on Spain or Mexico and see what you find. I was pleasantly
surprised to find the recipe below because it reminded me of my mom cooking
cabbage like this. I remember her adding the lemon juice para el color.]]
CABBAGE WITH ORANGE AND APPLES
Source: Jewish Traditional Cookbook by Bet-El's women, Mexico
From: Karen

3/4 C. Sliced Onion
1 1/2 C. Peeled and Diced Apples
4 Tbls. Oil
1 Md. Purple Cabbage, sliced very thin
1 C. Fresh Orange Juice
1/2 C. Water
1 Tsp. Lemon Juice
3/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp. Ground Clove

Sugar or Honey to taste, (optional) In a large sauté pan cook the
onions and apples with the oil till tender and caramelized. Add the cabbage
and stir well till it is all covered with the onion-apple-oil mixture. Add
the orange juice, water, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, and clove. Mix well.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for abou t 20 min
or until the cabbage is nice and tender. Remove from heat and add honey or
sugar if desired.