jBeirader

Jessica V. wrote:
> Bella wrote:
>
>> We love eating daikon, but for the life of us cannot duplicate the
>> daikon served in Japanese restaurants; those lovely, long silver
>> strands. We have used cheese graters, peelers, and a so called
>> Japanese grater, but we either end up with a pulpy mush or "fat"
>> strands quite unlike the restaurant fare. Does anyone have a product
>> or technique they can suggest? Drying and salting suggestions are
>> welcome.
>>
>> Thanks, Bella

> I watched the apprentice itamae do this at a sushi bar once. The daikon
> was first peeled then impaled on a pronged metal shaft, fitted into
> something with a blade parallel to the counter top and he cranked out
> thin sheets of daikon that were then sliced into thin strips. No idea
> what the apparatus is called, I'd check out an Oriental market. Maybe a
> better question for rec.food.sushi
>
> Jess

Available at Japanese stores and markets are their version of the Mandolin.
You will find an insert used for Daikon, carrots and cucumbers.
I make it once a week and mix it in Rice wine vinegar, sesame oil,
soy sauce, a bit of sugar and sesame seeds.
Let it sit in a plastic bag tightly closed...delicious long thin threads
lightly colored. Or you can just use them plain in their thread like
condition. You must soak them for several hours first in very cold
water, drain and then use.