WJ van den Berg

> My question is this: What are these spice mixes most likely for? In
> what quantities are they designed to be used? Are the mixtures
> considered a ready-to-use seasoning, a la Hamburger Helper (TM), and
> for what purpose?

Bag 1 is the one I recognise as "Five Spice Powder", allthough
ingredient sometimes vary (I think I also sometimes find ginger and
cloves as ingredients (but they remain 5 so 1 or 2 others will not be
there :-))) and this is often used in chinese recipes.

> Bag 1: Gia vi nau pho dac biet.
> English name: "Mixed Spice"
> Ingredients (largest quantities first
> * star anise
> * cinnamon sticks (rolls)
> * green cardamoms
> * black peppercorns
> * One large black cardamom

See
http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/en...ce_powder.html
for instance.

Lots of recipes with (but also /for/) five spice powder to be found
E.G. http://www.recipezaar.com/87105

Wouter