Michael Odom

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:04:03 -0000,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

>Diestel. Personally I think their main organic line, "Heidi's Hens" isn't
>as good as Shelton's organic. However, they have a better line, "Heritage"
>which is pretty good.
>
>Irritatingly, none of them seem to be available fresh, not-previously-
>frozen. And even more irritatingly, I've not talked to a single producer of
>organic meat who seems to have any interest in producing fresh meat.
>
>It would seem as though, somehow, there aren't many people who care that
>their meat is frozen if they're buying organic. Furthermore, it would seem
>as though the distribution systems that prevail in the USA make it
>*incredibly* difficult for an organic producer to get fresh meat to market.
>What I don't understand is, if people are sufficiently selective to want to
>choose organic meat, why does their selectivity end when it comes to fresh
>vs. frozen? Aren't there people out there who are interested in quality
>enough to demand both organic *and* fresh? If not, why not?
>
>Any answers to these, anybody?

'Round these parts (NE Texas) the health and food safety laws pretty
much put the kibosh on finding never-frozen organic meats unless you
slaughter your own. It's not a matter of what I would like to have,
it's a matter of the scale of production which proves prohibitive for
small producers to meet the fresh meat regulations. At least that's
what I think is going on.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore