Alex Rast

at Tue, 26 Oct 2004 00:35:58 GMT in <1b4b1e03.0410251635.7f340390
@posting.google.com>, (Bob) wrote :

>My brother mentioned an organic turkey brand by the name of Deitzel?
>Deitsel? He wasn't sure of the spelling. Does anyone what the brand
>is? He said this is one of the better quality turkeys.

Diestel. Personally I think their main organic line, "Heidi's Hens" isn't
as good as Shelton's organic. However, they have a better line, "Heritage"
which is pretty good.

Irritatingly, none of them seem to be available fresh, not-previously-
frozen. And even more irritatingly, I've not talked to a single producer of
organic meat who seems to have any interest in producing fresh meat.

It would seem as though, somehow, there aren't many people who care that
their meat is frozen if they're buying organic. Furthermore, it would seem
as though the distribution systems that prevail in the USA make it
*incredibly* difficult for an organic producer to get fresh meat to market.
What I don't understand is, if people are sufficiently selective to want to
choose organic meat, why does their selectivity end when it comes to fresh
vs. frozen? Aren't there people out there who are interested in quality
enough to demand both organic *and* fresh? If not, why not?

Any answers to these, anybody?
--
Alex Rast