Katra

Default Simple syrup for baklava?

Suzanne Capwell wrote:

> At 11:43 AM -0600 12/6/03, Katra wrote:
> >Jonquil wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm going to make baklava today. Never made it before. My recipe
> >> calls for "1 recipe simple syrup". I'm wondering if I should use a 1
> >> or 2 water-sugar ratio for this purpose??
> >>
> >> And while I'm at it, anyone have a tried and true recipe for baklava?
> >> Tried and true by *you* that is! Mine calls for the filo to be rolled
> >> "jelly roll fashion". I've always seen baklava in diamond shapes
> >> which I assume means it was baked in a rectangular or square pan, none
> >> of this rolling stuff. And can it be frozen? Pre or post baking??
> >>
> >> Any advice appreciated!
> >>
> >> many thanks, blessings to all,
> >> Jonquil
> >>

> >My sister usually makes me Baklava for a Christmas gift since it can be
> >time consuming... :-) She uses a square pan and layers it, then cuts it
> >into triangles.
> >
> >I'd use the 2/1 simple syrup and add just a touch of maple. Baklava is
> >_supposed_ to be rich!
> >
> >I find walnuts to be bitter and don't care much for them. We usually
> >substitute minced pecans instead as they are sweeter. Plus, this is
> >Texas and I can get all the pecans I want for free just picking them up
> >off the ground. <G>
> >

> Square pan. Cut into parallelograms or triangles before baking.
> That's important. Get a paint brush or spray bottle for your
> butter (don't use margerine. Don't even consider it... Too much water
> content in most.)
>
> Simple syrup use 1 to 1 ratio. Add some honey, a little lemon juice,
> and rose water if you want a truely authentic flavour. This will
> cover the baklava and soak in for at -least- 24hrs. (See, time
> consuming. No maple syrup. What, are you canadian?
>
> USe finely chopped walnuts. I use Walnuts and only use pecans when I
> get lazy. :P The syrup totally counteracts the bitterness of the
> walnuts. You can also mix in pistacios if you want. That's also
> authentic.
>
> If you want to freeze, do it after you bake and let the syrup soak
> in. No problems there.
>
> Feel free to forward this post to the proper usenet thread if you want.
> --

Did and done luv, thanks! :-)

This was a hint by the way..... <grins>
Baked goods for Christmas are always good!
To heck with low carbing over the holiday.

Planning to get Chas a black leather jacket for Christmas...
Have already done some shopping for you as well.

What else would you like?

Will get the nephew probably mostly leapfrog toys!

I got Christmas day off! Yay!!! Am looking forward to this year with Dyson.

<hugs>
'sis'

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra