Katra

Default Simple syrup for baklava?

Jonquil wrote:

> I'm going to make baklava today. Never made it before. My recipe
> calls for "1 recipe simple syrup". I'm wondering if I should use a 1
> or 2 water-sugar ratio for this purpose??
>
> And while I'm at it, anyone have a tried and true recipe for baklava?
> Tried and true by *you* that is! Mine calls for the filo to be rolled
> "jelly roll fashion". I've always seen baklava in diamond shapes
> which I assume means it was baked in a rectangular or square pan, none
> of this rolling stuff. And can it be frozen? Pre or post baking??
>
> Any advice appreciated!
>
> many thanks, blessings to all,
> Jonquil

My sister usually makes me Baklava for a Christmas gift since it can be
time consuming... :-) She uses a square pan and layers it, then cuts it
into triangles.

I'd use the 2/1 simple syrup and add just a touch of maple. Baklava is
_supposed_ to be rich!

I find walnuts to be bitter and don't care much for them. We usually
substitute minced pecans instead as they are sweeter. Plus, this is
Texas and I can get all the pecans I want for free just picking them up
off the ground. <G>

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra