Gideon Stargrave

> Well, doggone, that's news to me, I have always thought cow meant a female
> animal.
>
> My sincerest apologies for implying that you were a dumbass.
>

> 1. You are presuming that veal calves are treated cruelly, and although that
> is a common perception, the link I gave states otherwise. You are free to
> believe as you wish, but if you want me to believe you, you must provide
> more than a common perception that as far as I know is out of date.

a) i read nothing on that page says anything about the cows being
anywhere but in their "partition." Here is the part c&p'ed directly
from that link:

Q: How are veal calves housed?

A. Milk-fed veal calves are housed in a well-lit barn, allowing family
veal farmers to easily monitor calves for changes in health, behavior
and eating patterns.

Modern veal housing is designed to partition the animals only up to the
shoulder level, ensuring calves visual and physical interactions with
their neighbors. Calves are also tethered which allows farmers to gently
and safely handle calves for purposes of contact, feeding, treatment and
sanitizing, while also reducing the risk of calves harming themselves
and each other. Calves can comfortably lie down in natural positions,
stand up and groom themselves. This type of housing and tethering allows
animals to receive their own feed, individual care and attention. Most
importantly, individual housing has been shown to help prevent the
spread of disease by limiting calf-to-calf contact while allowing
socialization.

sounds like fun, can i sign you up? maybe just a weekend getaway then.
that truly does not sound cruelty free to me. besides, killing an
animal for food, regardless of how you treat them is obviously *not*
cruelty free.

> 2. There is no such thing as cruelty-free eating. Animals are harmed in many
> ways at all stages of agriculture.

look, i understand that it is nearly impossible to live 100% cruelty
free. you will most likely argue that even the organic vegetables i
exclusively eat are probably fertilized with manure. first of all,
probably. second of all, my point was, that eating cheese, *directly*
contributes to the seclusion, and murder of calves born to cows,
deliberately impregnated just so people can have a bit -o- tasty cheese.
wanna sign your significant other, or your sister up for that?(or you,
if you happen to be female, since i don't really know for sure) i feel
pretty confident that if a cost effective manure free fertilizer were on
the market(which there may be) most, if not all, organic farmers would
switch over in a heartbeat. the point is that if the vegetarian choice
is made for moral, cruelty free reasons, i believe that the choice
should be rethought. i was at no point incendiary! nor was i at no
point rude to you, or anyone! i asked a question to provoke thought.

g-