Meghan Noecker

> It would have been wrapped in the stores. None of the large chocolate
> manufacturers use Saran Wrap on chocolate they produce in bloc form. Nor do
> they break it up into blocks. That's something the store does. What I meant
> is that I've noticed a curious pattern - most frequently, if they do Saran
> Wrap the chunks, they are using Callebaut. Other break-up chocolates seem
> for whatever reason more often to be sold loose in bulk bins or bags, or
> sometimes wrapped in cellulose. (different, stiffer than Saran Wrap).

Definitely saran wrap style. I work in a deli department now, and it's
the same kind of overwrap. And I remember them being in a big barrel
at the store.

> If you had to knaw on it, it would have been the thicker, 2-inch blocs. The
> thinner blocs have an axis sufficiently thin that you can bite right
> through it.
> That makes it unlikely it was Ghirardelli. Their blocs are thin enough to
> bite through on the thin axis. So we are down to 2, Merckens and Guittard.

Good. Sounds like that helps narrow it down. Yes, I did a lot of
knawing in it. I could only break off small chunks from the corners.
It was very satisfying to work hard at eating it.

> If it was pale, almost creamy in colour, more likely it was Merckens.
> Neither Merckens nor Guittard tastes anything *like* Hershey's, nor,

This is the hard part - definiing the taste. Since I haven't had it
for so many years, it is hard to remember, but my favorite chocolate
now is Hershey's so that is probably why I identify with it. I did try
the large Hershy's kisses, and they don't taste that great to me,
though I love the individual bars, for melting in my mouth. I guess
knawing it on it is different.

> A reliable on-line site for Merckens is http://www.bakerscandc.com. You can
> get both types there, although brace yourself: you'll have to get the full
> 10-lb brick.

Thanks, that's not too bad actually. I was at some website yesterday,
I think the Ghiradelli, and it was almost $80 for a 10 lb bar I think.
$30 isn't too bad.

> If you want to pick it up in Seattle, you'll have to look around. I
> certainly don't know of a store in Seattle which has *regular* stock.
> Ballard's Central Market (corner of 15th Ave NW and NW Market Street) might
> have had that brand in the bulk bins - I can't remember right off the top
> of my head. As for the low Seattle availability, in truth, that's probably
> because Guittard and Callebaut offer similar chocolates that are generally
> better in flavour for comparable price. From Larry's, it's certainly no-
> risk to try the Guittard because you can pick up a small chunk of it from
> the bulk bins for a song (a 4-oz piece will be about $1.00) You can get
> Callebaut just about as easily from any of the sources above. So if you
> wanted to test the 3 chocolates side-by-side, you could do so and decide
> which one you like best.

Thanks. I will check them out. I don't know what it is, but I have
always missed that large chunk of chocolate to knaw on. Everytime the
holiday decorations come out, I start looking for the bins again,
hoping to find some broken chocolate.