sgbrix

gene > wrote in message .com>...

---snip
> Both are from 2nd growth grapes, after the vineyard was commercially
> harvested.

Lucky you, I bet you did not even have to pay to pick these grapes.
Last year I spent a day picking old 2nd groth Zin in Lodi that is
still in barrel at a friend out there.. Did not have time this year.

> The 4 gallons Zinfandel were just inoculated today with Pasteur Red
> yeast (harvested this past Saturday, the day before the rains came....
> settled for 22 Brix and 0.60 TA). Fermentation started at 63 F. Slowly
> warming with 60W light bulb to get up to about 72 F by day 4. Wanting
> this to be a long, slow ferment to retain fruitiness ... 1/3 whole berries.

This sounds great, I just wonder about using Pasteur Red? Their
optimum is listed as 64-86f, could you not get fresh strains from
someone?