MrAoD

Default Pasta Maker - Electric or Manual?

contrapositive" writes:

>Hi. Thinking of purchasing a pasta maker for my wife for Christmas. I'm not
>finding as much information as I thought I could. I'm wondering, primarily,
>which is more practical: electric or manual.

Another vote for manual (Atlas style). I had an all-in-one electric and the
performance was substandard. With the powered extrusion machines you've got to
watch the dough carefully - too moist and you get glop, too dry and you get
crumbles and will probably strip the gears as someone else noted.

If you've got kids they'll help crank or catch, it's like a big playdoh fun
factory.

>What are the advantages of
>each?

AFAICT the consumer extrustion machines suck majorly and have no benefits.

The manual machines allow you to create a variety of pastas, especially wide
noodles like lasagne, or filled pasta like raviolis. Or different thicknesses.

Also, the electric mix-n-press aren't very forgiving on the dough and you can't
make spinach, garlic, or other types of noodles.

Also also you can buy a motor attachment for about $70 which replaces the
handcrank. The few I've looked at appear to have good (non-plastic) gear
boxes.

>Also, are there any features or attachments I should look for? Avoid?

Meh. My Atlas came with the ravioli press. It works, sorta, and it was free.
If it hadn't of been I don't think I'd have bought it. I'd say a basic Atlas
with the noodle cutters (fettucine, linguine, spaghetti and angel hair) is all
you really need. You can buy aftermarket ravioli molds and if you're into
other types of filled pasta you'll be doing it by hand anway.

>Any particular brands to look for or avoid?

Atlas/Mercato(sp?) are the ones I've seen around here. I wouldn't bother going
upscale, they're good value, $30-40.

Best,

Marc