On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:54:51 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

> Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> On 6/13/2021 12:52 AM, GM wrote:
>> > On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 11:29:00 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> >> I'm not sure what recently compelled me to make a double recipe of toll
>> >> house cookies, but it somehow came out to be about 9 dozen cookies. In
>> >> a house without A/C on a near 90 degree day, that wasn't my smartest idea.
>> >>
>> >> I decided to turn off the the pilot lights on my stove to save on heat
>> >> in the kitchen, and supper was just a cold chipped chopped ham and
>> >> provolone sandwich. The humidity has my fridge desperately needing
>> >> defrosted as well. I suppose it's all better than snow, however.
>> >
>> >
>> > Years ago I used to do a lot of home canning. I didn't have A/C, and I'd often choose the hottest days to can. It would be SO hot that it would be a "transcedental" experience - and accompanied by LOTS of ice - cold beer...
>> >
>> > Couldn't do that now, I'd surely croak...
>> >

>> I have grandma's old huge enamel pot with the wire rack in the bottom.
>> I might pick up some Ball jars and try my hand at canning this year. I
>> planted a dozen tomato plants, so why not?

>
>
>I made a lot of stuff for holiday giving. Brandied cherries, pickled okra, chow - chow, and dilly beans were always a HUGE hit, makes a unique gift. I'd use pint jars for the gifts, a recipient would get two or more jars, fancily garnished with a nice ribbon and labelled...peeps would "oooh" and "aaah" when receiving...
>
>Cantaloupe and watermelon pickles are great, and also something "unusual",..
>
>You can also make refrigerator pickles, right now I am using up some fresh and frozen stuff to make corn relish (red/green peppers, celery, red onion, sliced garlic, frozen corn, diced cukes), I always have this on hand...very easy to make...
>
>Wiki: "How do you make refrigerator pickles?
>
>How to Make Refrigerator Pickles: Step 1: Fill clean jar with thinly sliced cucumbers (ideally Kirby). Step 2: Stir brine ingredients together (kosher salt, vinegar and chopped fresh dill) and pour over cucumber slices. Step 3: Close jar lid and shake to distribute brine. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours then enjoy!"
>
>The only "dud" I had was ketchup, tried several times, but the result was always poor, this despite following exact directions...
>
>It is *critical* you follow canning safety guidelines (but you surely already know that). I once made a batch of tomatoes that caused several of us (we were at a cookout) to become quite ill, in hindsight we were very lucky that it was not worse...
>
>Go he
>
>https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/commu...-botulism.html
>
>Home Canning and Botulism
>
>Home canning is an excellent way to preserve garden produce and share it with family and friends, but it can be risky—or even deadly—if not done correctly and safely.
>
>It’s summertime and time to harvest the delicious produce you’ve been growing. You may be thinking about home canning your garden goodies to preserve them. But beware! If home canning is not done the proper way, your canned vegetables and fruits (as well as other foods, including meats and seafood) could cause botulism..."

Ask them, theyre here. "You can stop saying that now. Thank you."
--
Bruce