Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Non-Service Dogs in Grocery Stores

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:31:08 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this just an Austin, Texas phenomenon, or do a lot of people in
> other states take their obviously non-service dogs into grocery
> stores too?
>
> Some dogs sit in carts or the baby seats, some get blankets to make
> them comfy, some are being clutched to chests, some peek out of
> purses, and even others are on 8-14 foot leashes - sometimes 2 or 3
> wide at a time in the aisles so nobody can get past them. And any
> number of them can be barking, yapping, or growling at other
> customers or dogs at any given time.
>
> Is this just as common in others cities and states? Do you or
> somebody you know take your non-service dog into a grocery store?
> Why?

I can't recall the last time I saw a dog of any sort in any store. A local...
garden supply, I guess, has a cat. Since it used to be "Hertler's Feed Store",
the tradition may have started by the Hertlers keeping a mouser. Now
it's all yuppified (can we still call it "yuppies" when we've all got gray
hair?), but they still have a cat.

OTOH, perhaps the people who grocery-shop at 6 or 7 am just aren't
the sort to bring their purse dog. Their appearance suggests they're more
likely to leave their rottweiler at home to guard their trailer.

Cindy Hamilton