Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster

Default OT: Your favorite self-carbonated drink mix

On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 1:53:47 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:13:07 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 7:53:42 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > > On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 9:58:59 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > > On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 3:51:54 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
> > > > > I've been on USENET for 25 years.
> > > > Is that all?
> > > >
> > > > I see you use Eternal September. I remember when Usenet actually was
> > > > different in September, when all the college freshmen got their first
> > > > accounts at their university and discovered Usenet.
> > > >
> > > > Cindy Hamilton
> > > September was the month that AOL first offered Usenet access to the members of its service. The problem wasn't students, it was AOL users and after that, the influx of users with new internet access. Then came the spammers. Usenet has pretty much been ****ed up since then.

> > AOL doesn't have anything to do with it. Universities had Usenet long before AOL
> > was a gleam in Steve Case's eye.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I understand that. Most of the posters back in the early days had Usenet accounts through educational, research, military, scientific, and industrial, institutions. Because of this, It was expected that the postings would reflect well on the associated institutions. Most of the posters these days were introduced to Usenet through their internet service providers. What yoose guys don't get is that "Eternal September" weren't referring to hoards of moronic students being able to log on and write stupid schoolboy crap, it was the hoards of moronic citizens like yoose and me being allowed access to Usenet as a feature of their personal internet service account and being able to write stupid schoolboy crap.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

I never said Eternal September was not about AOL. I said that Septembers on Usenet
were weird before AOL ever came along.

Cindy Hamilton