Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Chili sans-carne

Michael Trew wrote:

> On 6/6/2021 11:50 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > John Lorbal wrote:

> > > My first reply to this thread, I recommended mushrooms. I'm just
> > > throwing other ideas out there.

> > I saw that later. Agree. Unless you live in Texas and think Chili
> > can only be made 'one way', there's a lot of room.
> >
> > I sometimes make a 'white chili' with white beans, white pepper,
> > Anaheim or Banana peppers, mushrooms, and if I can find them,
> > crawfish tails.

> Texans are too serious about their chili. I won't knock it, but it's
> not chili to me without beans.
>
> White chili sounds interesting, I think I'd like to try that at some
> point. Maybe with shrimp.

Yes, Texans can be very silly about it. But in San Antonion TX, they
had a big annual chili cookoff. My modest entry in the 'Alternative
Chilis' won. (They do indeed have an alternative version allowance).

The Navy guys with me had a main entry and it got 3rd place of some 200
entries. Mine was in the Alternative, and the white chili and got 2nd
place of 50 entries so not bad. Next year, we won 1st place both sets.
My alternative was 'Smokey Mountain Southern Chili'. Card carefully
explained these were the folks who stayed at the Smokey Mountain pass
and never went on to Texas... I think it won on shock value. A gamble
as it had cauliflower, green beans, radishes and was mild (but some
heat). Peppers were not deseeded but Banana and Anaheim used.