Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili sans-carne

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 1:44:57 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 10:54:06 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:
> >
> >> Mushrooms in chilli is a bit far out
> >> there. When does it just become spaghetti sauce?

> >When it lacks cumin. And for red chili, when it lacks ancho chiles. For me,
> >those are the flavors that define chili. Apparently for a lot of people, because
> >"chili powder" has both.

> Chili powder has cumin? I've only ever seen chili powder made
> exclusively from chilli peppers.

If it's made exclusively from chile peppers, it's labeled as "ground red pepper"
or "ground [variety]" such as ground cayenne, ground habanero, ground chipotle.

Here's how we remember it: chili powder is a spice blend for making chili;
anything else is powdered chiles of a single variety, and can be used for making
anything you want, including chili. It would be easier if we would call "chili" by
its proper name: chile con carne. But you know we love our abbreviations.

Those us who know our ass from a hole in the ground remember it, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton