Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili sans-carne

On Monday, June 7, 2021 at 10:54:06 AM UTC-4, bruce bowser wrote:

> Mushrooms in chilli is a bit far out
> there. When does it just become spaghetti sauce?

When it lacks cumin. And for red chili, when it lacks ancho chiles. For me,
those are the flavors that define chili. Apparently for a lot of people, because
"chili powder" has both.

> As for seafood, at what point does chili just become stew? or even gumbo?

Same answer.

Chili is a stew. Many things are a stew.

Gumbo requires either okra or filé powder. And lacks cumin or anchos.

Cindy Hamilton