> > On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 10:56:19 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> > > wrote:
> > > > On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 8:41:15 PM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> > > > > On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 6:28:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > > > > > On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 4:55:18 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > > > > > > Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > > > > > > > On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 1:38:51 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> > > > > > > >>
> > > > > > > >> To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
> > > > > > > >> vague ideas of moving at some time in the future.
> > > > > > > >>
> > > > > > > > My wife and I have definite plans to get out of StL as soon as we can
> > > > > > > > retire. July and August are stupid hot, and November through March
> > > > > > > > is cold. What'd be nice would be Puerto Rico November through
> > > > > > > > March, and Georgia April through October, and I mean the Tbilisi
> > > > > > > > Georgia, rather than the Atlanta one.
> > > > > > > >>
> > > > > > > > --Bryan
> > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Yep, you should try to get the hell out. St louis is already same
> > > > > > > as detroit. A lovely city 70 years ago, but that's gone.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > Oh, there are lots of things that I like about StL, but I hate uncomfortable
> > > > > > temperatures. It's nice here in May and late April, and absolutely lovely in
> > > > > > September and early October.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > If you think that StL is dived out, you're mistaken. Crime is concentrated in
> > > > > > certain areas. We have a world class zoo, symphony and botanical garden,
> > > > > > all of which are very affordable. The zoo is free. Anyone who has never
> > > > > > come here on vacation is missing a gem, and I suspect that you are among
> > > > > > those who've never visited.
> > > > > I spent a lot of time in STL in the 90's, visiting friends who lived there at the time. A quick zip down on Amtrak from Chicago...
> > > > >
> > > > > Always had a good time, plenty to see. Cheap and good eats, and a great year - round farmer's market...my friends lived in Soulard, it's very similar in parts to New Orleans, old brick architecture...
> > > > > > Then there's the proximity to the Ozarks. This has been a lovely place to live,
> > > > > > but I want to retire to somewhere where the weather is decent year-round.
> > > > > Took some nice trips out west of STL, the wine town of Hermann is fun, area was originally settled by Germans, lovely country...
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I would be happy to give pointers on vacationing here to anyone--without
> > > > > > prejudice about how I feel about the person--especially since I'd do it on the
> > > > > > newsgroup, so it would be there for anyone. Another nice place to visit is
> > > > > > Chicago, specifically because of the museums. It's a lot pricier, but anyone
> > > > > > who has never been to the Art Institute doesn't know what they're missing.
> > > > > > Kansas City has a great art museum too. CHI/STL/KCY are not flyover, but
> > > > > > destinations easily accessible by Amtrak. A couple thousand dollars can
> > > > > > buy a lot of neat experiences in America's heartland.
> > > > > Don't bother with Chicago, it's become even *more* of a ghetto shit hole...even the formerly nice areas, e.g. Michigan Avenue, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview/Wrigleyville, etc. are VERY DANGEROUS war zones. I'll never step foot downtown again, I want to keep it in my memory as a great and thriving place, which it once was...
> > > > >
> > > > We go there for exactly one reason.
> > > > https://www.artic.edu/
> > > > My wife adores art museums, and I adore her. Lots of great mama y papa
> > > > burrito joints all over town too. We drive up and stay in Willowbrook, then
> > > > take the pink line from 54th&McCormick. We're back out in the suburbs
> > > > before nightfall.
> > > Yeah, the Art Institute is great, just before the pandemic started I bought a membership so I could visit a lot..."oh well"...
> > >
> > > I love the Chicago Symphony, too, Symphony Hall is just down the way from the Art Institute...
> > >
> > > All that is now, unfortunately, "gone with the wind", but I'll have the great memories...
> > >

> > If you're suggesting that the Art Institute is dangerous to visit in the day,
> > or even that the Chicago Symphony, once they resume concerts, is
> > dangerous to attend, that rings untrue.

> Downtown Chicago now is a " Mad Max " dystopia - it was great until the riots hit last year. Chicago, unfortunately, is run by social justice warrior marxist democrats, and they are succeeding in destroying the vitality of this once - great city...

"According to JLL, Chicago is the second largest office market in the U.S., with nearly 250 million square feet of office space. "
-- https://datacenterfrontier.com/downt...-connectivity/