Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Default Chili sans-carne

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 6:28:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 4:55:18 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > Bryan Simmons wrote:

> > > My wife and I have definite plans to get out of StL as soon as we can
> > > retire. July and August are stupid hot, and November through March
> > > is cold. What'd be nice would be Puerto Rico November through
> > > March, and Georgia April through October, and I mean the Tbilisi
> > > Georgia, rather than the Atlanta one.
> > >>
> > > --Bryan
> > >

> > Yep, you should try to get the hell out. St louis is already same
> > as detroit. A lovely city 70 years ago, but that's gone.
> >

> Oh, there are lots of things that I like about StL, but I hate uncomfortable
> temperatures. It's nice here in May and late April, and absolutely lovely in
> September and early October.
>
> If you think that StL is dived out, you're mistaken. Crime is concentrated in
> certain areas. We have a world class zoo, symphony and botanical garden,
> all of which are very affordable. The zoo is free. Anyone who has never
> come here on vacation is missing a gem, and I suspect that you are among
> those who've never visited.

I spent a lot of time in STL in the 90's, visiting friends who lived there at the time. A quick zip down on Amtrak from Chicago...

Always had a good time, plenty to see. Cheap and good eats, and a great year - round farmer's market...my friends lived in Soulard, it's very similar in parts to New Orleans, old brick architecture...

> Then there's the proximity to the Ozarks. This has been a lovely place to live,
> but I want to retire to somewhere where the weather is decent year-round.

Took some nice trips out west of STL, the wine town of Hermann is fun, area was originally settled by Germans, lovely country...

> I would be happy to give pointers on vacationing here to anyone--without
> prejudice about how I feel about the person--especially since I'd do it on the
> newsgroup, so it would be there for anyone. Another nice place to visit is
> Chicago, specifically because of the museums. It's a lot pricier, but anyone
> who has never been to the Art Institute doesn't know what they're missing..
> Kansas City has a great art museum too. CHI/STL/KCY are not flyover, but
> destinations easily accessible by Amtrak. A couple thousand dollars can
> buy a lot of neat experiences in America's heartland.

Don't bother with Chicago, it's become even *more* of a ghetto shit hole...even the formerly nice areas, e.g. Michigan Avenue, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview/Wrigleyville, etc. are VERY DANGEROUS war zones. I'll never step foot downtown again, I want to keep it in my memory as a great and thriving place, which it once was...

https://heyjackass.com/

"Downtown is a disaster. The CWB blog tries to get some of it out there, but why isnt the mainstream media making FOIA reques€¦.oh, right. Mayor Groot has forbidden it. She has also forbidden white reporters from asking her any questions and maybe pointing out that her hand-picked staff is driving Chicago into the ground and jumping on the corpse. She has committed to spending millions of dollars in police overtime because of a dead criminals birthday that €śmight€ť get out of hand..

What type of €śleader€ť allows this behavior to occur without consequences?

The same €śleader€ť who claims that losing the confidence of thousands of employees tasked with maintaining order is a €śbadge of honor.€ť
A €śleader€ť who has jeopardized the health and welfare of the Department for her entire tenure, demanding more and more from their bodies and sacrifice upon sacrifice from their families?
A €śleader€ť who has permitted a labor impasse to linger for four years now?
A €śleader€ť who has allowed and participated in the lies and slanders that have demoralized the Department to no end?
A €śleader€ť who cancels weekends off and forces the Department to work 12 hour days with no €śemergency€ť in sight.
Whats that you say? The uptick in killings and maimings is an €śemergency?

To whom? Pray tell Groot: How should the Police Department stop it? We cannot sweep the corners. We cannot arrest the neer-do-wells. We cannot chase cars and shortly, we will not be able to chase on foot. If by some miracle, someone is arrested, they are not held, they are not prosecuted, they serve no time. And violations of bail bond? We are headed toward no-cash bail, so theres not even a financial penalty for repeat offenders re-offending. €śHeres your report, have a nice day.€ť

Rumor is the Department will be doing this again starting before Fathers Day and continuing through Independence Day so we certainly hope no one made any plans going forward€¦..unless that plan involves getting out of this doomed city..."

https://cwbchicago.com/

"15 armed robberies in 9 hours overnight as CPD again orders detectives to sit in cars rather than investigate crimes
Girl, 15, critical after being shot in a truck near Buckingham Fountain, police say
Armed robbers strike in Lakeview and Lincoln Park on Thursday evening
Chicago bond court *again* filled with people facing gun charges while on bail for pending gun cases
Man shot while driving on LSD near Field Museum, police say
Large groups of teens are robbing people in Millennium and Grant Parks, police say
2 arrested in Boystown brawl as local businesses mull future of private security patrols
1 shot, 2 arrested with guns during another €ślarge group€ť incident in the Loop..."

The leftist/communist democrats have done a DANDY job of destroying once - beautiful large cities such as NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Seattle, Portland, LA...RIP USA...!!!

https://www.chicagocontrarian.com/bl...workers-return

"Michigan Avenue, long a tourist destination, stands as a shadow of its former self. With over a third of retailers closing shop, mobs of teens milling about on street corners smoking pot and basically doing nothing, employers, both retail and commercial as well as tourists, are not going to plan trips to Chicago. The sheer number of violent assaults and handguns collected during routine traffic stops should make everyone leery of visiting what is quickly becoming the Maggot Mile.

Frequent readers of the Chicago Contrarian are well aware of the rise in crime in downtown Chicago, including the fall of the 18th Police District (e.g., Michigan Avenue, Lincoln Park, etc.) to both petty and violent criminals who have taken over the streets, subways and parking lots. Not only is crime rising, police are €śgoing fetal€ť as the only logical response to a political environment which threatens their very livelihood.

€śDowntown Chicago without a conference business at 2019 levels is a very delicate ecosystem,€ť a local media industry executive suggests. €śThe central business districts could very quickly turn into a larger version of Detroit if white collar workers do not return which will decimate the downtown food, retail and commercial real estate business. Mayor Lightfoot has no Plan B if workers do not return to the office at pre-pandemic levels,€ť she notes..."

</>