Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan Simmons Bryan Simmons is offline

Default Chili sans-carne

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 4:55:18 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 1:38:51 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> >>

> >> To finish off vaguely on topic for food, my wife & I have started to have
> >> vague ideas of moving at some time in the future.
> >>

> > My wife and I have definite plans to get out of StL as soon as we can
> > retire. July and August are stupid hot, and November through March
> > is cold. What'd be nice would be Puerto Rico November through
> > March, and Georgia April through October, and I mean the Tbilisi
> > Georgia, rather than the Atlanta one.
> >>

> > --Bryan
> >

> Yep, you should try to get the hell out. St louis is already same
> as detroit. A lovely city 70 years ago, but that's gone.

Oh, there are lots of things that I like about StL, but I hate uncomfortable
temperatures. It's nice here in May and late April, and absolutely lovely in
September and early October.

If you think that StL is dived out, you're mistaken. Crime is concentrated in
certain areas. We have a world class zoo, symphony and botanical garden,
all of which are very affordable. The zoo is free. Anyone who has never
come here on vacation is missing a gem, and I suspect that you are among
those who've never visited.

Then there's the proximity to the Ozarks. This has been a lovely place to live,
but I want to retire to somewhere where the weather is decent year-round.

I would be happy to give pointers on vacationing here to anyone--without
prejudice about how I feel about the person--especially since I'd do it on the
newsgroup, so it would be there for anyone. Another nice place to visit is
Chicago, specifically because of the museums. It's a lot pricier, but anyone
who has never been to the Art Institute doesn't know what they're missing.
Kansas City has a great art museum too. CHI/STL/KCY are not flyover, but
destinations easily accessible by Amtrak. A couple thousand dollars can
buy a lot of neat experiences in America's heartland.

--Bryan