Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default Door to Door Salespeople (Was Delicious Dinner and "Calls Past")

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:40:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 9:01:15 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> We would say "drops by".

>> Somebody knocks or rings on the door when I'm not expecting it I
>> don't even look out peephole 19 out of 20 times. The door doesn't
>> get opened.
>>
>> I was cornered by a roofing salesman a couple weeks ago ("Kyle")
>> while I was sitting on the porch and I told him "Not interested.
>> Keep on walking" before he even entered the driveway. Then 10 more
>> times... "Please leave", "Just go away", "Get off my property",
>> "stop walking. Turn around. DO NOT COME ANY CLOSER", "get the ****
>> off my property", :"Now get the **** out of my yard!", "Yo! WTF IS
>> YOUR PROBLEM DUDE!?!".... all the while he's trying to sell me a
>> roof while advancing on me on the porch criticizing my 'attitude',
>> criticising, my lawn, my trees, my bushes (which I had just trimmed
>> and were spread out all over the yard)... "May I ask who did your
>> roof last time?"

> "Please show me your peddler's license."
>
> That lets them know you're willing to call the police on them. They
> usually stop when we say that.

Our jurisdictions don't require solicitation permits. And the
Cities that do, they're being shot down by higher courts. The
Supreme Court has ruled that solicitors of any sort are allowed to
bug the shit out of you by knocking on you door to deliver any
message they want, provided it's a "proper time and place". I shit
you not.

While you can get somebody for trespassing, that's only after you
deliver notice to *specific* individuals witnessed by a Judge or
police officer. And only then can subsequent ingresses be
prosecutable. And getting a cop out to delver a residential
trespass warning and file it is near impossible (around here).

The only other way it's prosecutable is if you have a
fence/wall/gates and they scale it to get onto your property. But
99.5% of residential areas have laws about front-facing fences,
walls, and gates saying that they may only start at the edge of your
house (except on a corner lot), leaving street entry open to your
front door. And thereby fair game for solicitors. I shit you not
again.

Is that ****ed up or what? And people wonder why those "no
solicitation" signs don't work.

I found a loophol,e though. The law regarding it being unlawful to
enter "Crime Scene" areas marked by tape or other notices, DOES NOT
have a provision saying that it must be placed by an authority to be
unlawful to pass. So I'm going to order 7,500 feet of yellow
"Crime Scene - DO NOT ENTER" tape. While I only need to wrap it
around the front of the house, 7,500 feet is the minimum order. I
can sell some to my neighbors at $.03/foot (cost).

I should have been a lawyer.

-sw