Posted to rec.food.cooking
wolfy's new skateboard wolfy's new skateboard is offline

Default Delicious Dinner in Under 30 Minutes

On 6/1/2021 6:00 PM, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 19:50:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I brushed a small pork tenderloin with spicy brown mustard. Rolled it
>> in dry breadcrumbs seasoned with S&P, minced garlic and crushed parsley.
>> Baked on a lightly oiled baking sheet at 425F for 20 minutes.
>> Meanwhile, I steamed some Fordhook limas.
>>
>> I cut the tenderloin into 1" slices. It's cooked to medium rare. A
>> couple of slices with lightly buttered limas made for a great dinner.
>> Leftovers for later in the week or the freezer.
>>
>> Jill

> I bought a 2 qt air fryer in order to avoid turning on the oven at 425
> for 20 minutes. Takes half the time and less than half the power.

Half credit.

The heat/broil element current consumption over 20 minutes is roughly
identical.

https://smartkitchenimprovement.com/air-fryer-wattage/

A regular oven also has insulation and a thermostat which maintains
optimum temperatures. An oven, therefore, runs only about a quarter of
the time.
When you put this into consideration, the power consumption doesnt seem
as bad as previously believed. An air fryer runs throughout the duration
of the cooking process.

If I were to compare, 20minutes of cook time in a regular oven and air
fryer were not created equal. Power Consumption Comparisons Lets bring
in some figures to bring things into context.

The formula for calculating consumption is: (Wattage × Hours Used Per
Day) ÷ 1000 = Daily Kilowatt-hour (kWh) consumption Lets take the
average 1425W air fryer and calculate just how much power you are
consuming with it.

Using the formula we just stated above, here is how you calculate. Lets
assume you are cooking food which takes 30 minutes to prepare.

Your calculations will be as follows: 1425 x ½ hr / 1000 = 0.7125kWh
Now, lets look at an oven. Assuming the average wattage of 2400W, and
we are cooking the same amount of food over 1 hour (It sometimes takes
twice as much time to cook the same food as in an air fryer).

I also stated that in practice, an oven actually runs about 25% of the
time because the thermostat will be regulating the temperature.
The formula, therefore, would look like this: 2400 x ¼ hr / 1000 = 0.6kWh

_Even though the air fryer has a lower wattage, it actually consumes
more energy._