Posted to rec.food.cooking
wolfy's new skateboard wolfy's new skateboard is offline

Default My fast food update

On 5/26/2021 7:01 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> A few years back someone opened up a Hawaiian restaurant in our
>>> town. I didn't understand why they would do that in a small town
>>> because it wasn't like the were following a wave of popular
>>> Hawaiian dining in the area because there was none.* I went there
>>> once and was turned right off.* I am pretty adventurous and look
>>> forward to trying new ethnic foods and many times I have been
>>> impressed enough to go back. One that just couldn't get into was
>>> Japanese. I tried it several times and was always a little
>>> disappointed. Hover, I was at least willing to give it a few more
>>> tries. Not so with Hawaiian food.* Once was more than enough for
>>> me.

>> The thing about Japanese food and dsi1 is he keeps yapping about it
>> but he's been asked several times, has he ever been to Japan? He's
>> curiously silent in that regard.
>>
>> Jill

> Yup. I think there is (or was?) another here who lived in Japan.
> Hawaiian 'Japanese' cooking is all fusion. Nothing wrong with that but
> it's not how they do it in Japan.
>
> Smile, try asking him what a 'miso tub' is.

Why are you such a bigot on Hawaiian food?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_cuisine_of_Hawaii

Native Hawaiian cuisine is based on the traditional Hawaiian foods that
predate contact with Europeans and immigration from East and Southeast
Asia. The earliest Polynesian seafarers are believed to have arrived on
the Hawaiian Islands in 300-500 AD.[a] Few edible plants were indigenous
to Hawaiʻi aside from a few ferns and fruits that grew at higher
elevations. Various food-producing plants were introduced to the island
by migrating Polynesian peoples.

Botanists and archaeologists believe that these voyagers introduced
anywhere from 27 to more than 30 plants to the islands, mainly for
food.[1] The most important of them was taro.[2] For centuries, taroand
the poi made from itwas the main staple of the Hawaiian diet, and it is
still much loved. ʻUala (sweet potatoes) and yams were also planted. The
Marquesans, the first settlers from Polynesia, brought ʻulu (breadfruit)
and the Tahitians later introduced the baking banana. Settlers from
Polynesia also brought coconuts and sugarcane.[3]

ʻAwa (Piper methysticum, kava) is also a traditional food among
Hawaiians. Breadfruit, sweet potato, kava, and heʻe (octopus) are
associated with the four major Hawaiian gods: Kāne, Kū, Lono and Kanaloa.[4]

Fish, shellfish, and limu are abundant in Hawaii.[1] Flightless birds
were easy to catch and eggs from nests were also eaten.[1] Most Pacific
islands had no meat animals except bats and lizards.[5]

Ancient Polynesians sailed the Pacific with pigs, chickens, and
Polynesian dogs, and introduced them to the islands.[5] Pigs were raised
for religious sacrifice, and the meat was offered at altars, some of
which was consumed by priests and the rest eaten in a mass
celebration.[5] The early Hawaiian diet was diverse, and may have
included as many as 130 different types of seafood and 230 types of
sweet potatoes.[6] Some species of land and sea birds were consumed into
extinction.[7]

Sea salt was a common condiment in ancient Hawaiʻi.[8] Inamona is a
traditional relish or condiment often accompanied meals and is made of
roasted and mashed kukui nutmeats, and sea salt. It sometimes mixed with
edible seaweed.[8]

What, were you raised on Chef Boyardee and Oscar Mayer cold cuts???