Doug Freyburger

maxine in ri wrote:

> It was early in the morning, and I had a couple of things to
> pick up at the market on the way to work. The clerks were
> setting out the day's goods, and on top of their cart were
> several packets of smoked herring. It smelled soo good.!
>
> Got it home, and tried a piece. Bleh! Like eating a handful
> of fishy salt.

Salty fish is an acquired taste to be sure.

> What can I do with it?

Slice thin, put on top of a pizza, or send it to me.

> How can I desalinate it?

Rinse it and/or soak it.

> Why did it have to smell so good?

Fatty fish have essential fatty acids that are needed for life.
The same category of fatty acids come in nuts and assorted veggies
as well.

I think our ancestors lived on the shoreline long enough to evolve
a taste for fish. Have you noticed that fatty fish smell better
even though they have a much stronger taste? Once you acquire
the taste for the stronger fish the better smell correlates with,
here it comes, better nutritional content.