The Old Bear

Default Bakeries in the USA ?

Socks > writes:

>From: Socks >
>Subject: Bakeries in the USA ?
>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:03:01 -0800
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>
>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:59:32 +0100, martin maly wrote:
>>

>> i am a young german baker and like the usa. I have heard that years ago
>> german bakers had a good opertunity to open a buiseness in some parts of the
>> USA. Is there still demand at handcraft baking ? How do you see the
>> situation today ?

>i have not been to one of these stores, but i hear that they are growing
>very well, and take their baking seriously. it might be worth
>corresponding with them:
>
>http://www.panerabread.com/about_career.aspx

Panera Bread is quite a large company with many stores. I first encounted
them in St. Charles, Missouri, where they were operating under the regional
name of the "St. Louis Bread Company." They make a very nice product and
provide a pleasant cafe experience for those who want to purchase
sandwiches made on their bread. Panera operates over 600 bakery-cafes in
35 states, about a third of which are company-owned and the rest are
franchised.

Panera is similar in style to Anker-Brot which we encounterd in Austria
(see: http://www.ankerbrot.at ) and its German counterpart and majority
owner Mueller-Brot (see: http://www.mueller-brot.de).

At the other end of the size spectrum are hundreds of independent
artisan bakeries located all over the United States. For example, here
is a web site for an excellent independent bakery not far from where I
live: http://www.clearflourbread.com/employment.html

You may wish to check with various organizations like http://www.bbga.org
and http://www.rbanet.com

Here is a useful list of links to bakery-related Associations, schools
and organizations: http://www.bakery-net.com/rdocs/links.html#Associations

Cheers,
The Old Bear