pearl

"BlueHeron" > wrote in message ...

> pearl wrote:
> > "Blue Heron" > wrote in message news

<..>
> <snip>
> >>Vegetarian in both the UK and North America genereally refers to ovo
> >>lacto vegetarianism. Sometimes in North America (particularly in French
> >>Canada and the midwest) vegetarian is considered pisca/pollatarian,
> >>which makes it a pain in the ass, but never has it gone the other way,
> >>where vegetarian is considered vegan/strict-vegetarian.

> > I've somehow gathered otherwise. .. Thanks for the clarification.

> If only it were so! Then I wouldn't have to deal with the "Would you
> like some of xxxx, we made it just for you!" followed by the "What do
> you mean that you don't eat fish/chicken?" Curse the Catholic
> definition of "meat".

I know,.. it's 'crazy'. I come across that all the time here in .. Ireland.
I work in the field of natural medicine, and am regularly advising clients
to adopt a vegetarian (fairly strict) diet.. but I often have to clarify what
"no meat" means, being invariably asked- "how about chicken and fish?"!

> I still haven't been able to make it 100% clear to my in-laws who live
> in back-water Quebec that I am a "vegetalien". I don't think that they
> know the word. To add to the trouble, they don't like it when my wife
> and I cook in their kitchen (I think that they don't like to feel like
> their guests are having to take care of themselves or something of that
> ilk...). Even worse then that is trying to get my step-mother-in-law
> (how is that for a title?) to try the food that I cook. It's usually
> too "ethnic" for her *sigh*.

If you explain that prefer "rabbit & bird food", they might get the idea.

> I do understand that in parts of India and the Mediterranean
> "vegetarian" usually refers to lacto vegetarianism, as eggs are
> generally not consumed by vegetarians there.

Stop! lol.

> Yeesh. Look at that mini rant? Where, or where did it come from? :P
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Blue

S'great to see you again, Blue. Cheers.