samarkand

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> (Space Cowboy) writes:
>
>> Okay you Asian Iron Chefs what is that dry yellow blob in moon cakes?

> Lotus seed paste, if I've understood your question and if the moon
> cakes you've had are the same as the ones I've had.

Usually made from lotus seed paste, there are 2 types: white and usual
lotus seed paste. In the recent years many other ingredients have also been
used as fillings, from colour to ice cream!

The dry yellow blob in moon cakes, I think you meant the duck's egg yolk.
Traditionally, duck yolk is used as the centre filling, to balance the
over-sweetness of the paste. The paste itself is mixed with lard to give it
a smoother texture, but in the recent decades with the alarm raised on high
cholestrol and healthy eating, this is discarded, and vegetable oil used
instead. To make the mooncake available to vegetarians, the yolk is
replaced with coloured lotus paste.

Samar