Old 05-02-2021, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Martin[_4_] Sheldon Martin[_4_] is offline

Default I make world class Garlic Potatoes

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 20:13:55 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 9:50:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:

And keep them in a big plastic container in my refrigerator to have with my Breakfasts and Dinners! And I sanitize them with bleach water after scrubbing with dish soap TWICE! You HAVE TO wash plastic twice to get it squeaky clean!

It's a recipe from a local restaurant that I got in a newsletter years ago. I'll give you my slightly modified version:

5 lbs potatoes
4 cups 40% cream
1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
Gruyere swiss cheese

Peel (optional I suppose) and slice up the potatoes into chunk slices about 1/4 inch thick. Peel and mince the garlic, and I pare that little green plant out of the middle of each clove (A PITA, but it's kinda fun too!)

In a large pot, put the potato pieces, the cream, the garlic and the salt and pepper and bring to a gentle boil for about 10-15 mins. Thin with a little milk to make it easy to stir.

Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 40 mins or into until the Gruyere gets light golden brown.

Let sit for 30 mins after baking, and enjoy!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

What's world-class about them? It's just an everyday recipe.

There's nothing special about potatoes with garlic, I've tried it and
didn't like it, the garlic ruins perfectly good spuds. I prefer
boiled potatoes with fresh dill weed and plain yogurt, and occasionaly
boiled spuds with creamed herring and onion...to make them world class
takes a bottle of schnaps, okay, a small glusiluh for sipping...
glusiluh is Ruske yiddish for a small orange juice glass. My father
being from the Baltics (Riga) read and spoke Yiddish-Russian fluently
.... my mom being from Baltimore could understand and speak some
Yiddish and Russian. My father was a very tough man, mean to us kids,
sort of Kruschev-like, he was a gymnast. She once told me that she
married him for his huge penis, not in so many words but later I
figgured it out.