Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default I make world class Garlic Potatoes

John Kuthe wrote:
>>> 5 lbs potatoes
>>> 4 cups 40% cream
>>> 1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic (not the stuff in jars!)
>>> 1 tsp salt
>>> 1 tsp white pepper (black pepper works too, but makes black specks in the sauce!)
>>>
>>> Gruyere swiss cheese

>>> Then pour into a shallow baking pan like a lasagna pan, and grate Gruyere cheese on top.

Allow me to argue with that a bit. I've made 2 potato/onion casseroles
lately and the second one with some garlic.

1) No onions in this?
2) your garlic amount is *way* overkill, imo.
3) 4 cups of cream plus some milk sounds too "soupy" to me.
4) not enough S&P for five pounds of potatoes but then
you can always add more at the table
5) No way will all that fit in a shallow lasagna pan assuming
a 9X13X2 which is what I use. I've have to use 2 of those.

Note: with my last batch, I added 2 large cloves of garlic, smashed and
minced and only one pound of potatoes. I love garlic but that was a bit
too much. One clove would have been perfect.

So for your 5 pounds of potatoes, 5 cloves of garlic would be good for
me. You use "1-1.5 heads of fresh garlic?" I'll never go there. ;o

I also used thickened chicken stock instead of cream.

No matter though. If you love it, that's all that counts.